The oldest surviving golf course - it's official!
Musselburgh Old Links is the Oldest Surviving Golf Course - confirmed by the Guinness World Records in 2009. A certificate of this confirmation has been been presented to East Lothian Council and Enjoy Leisure who own and are responsible for the running of the Course.
Musselburgh Links is the oldest played Golf Course in existence. There are documented records of golf being played on the course in 1672 although its origins are probably in the twelfth or thirteenth century. Mary Queen of Scots was reputed to have played here in 1567. Musselburgh hosted the Open Championship – the world's oldest golfing competition - six times, with five sons of Musselburgh winning the title eleven times between them.
|1852/1880/81||Bob Ferguson three times champion|
|1860/1863/66/75||Willie Park Snr - four times champion|
|1887/89||Willie Park Jnr - twice champion|
It was also the venue for the first Scottish Amateur Championship in 1898. The Old Course is a relic from the very cradle of golf and holds its own special place in the history of golf in Scotland.
The Old Links was originally seven holes with another added in 1838 and the full nine holes came into play in 1870.
The first tournament for women was held on the Course in 1811 when the Creel Trophy and three blue silk handkerchiefs from Barcelona were presented to the winning lady.
This was a strangely enlightened move for the time. Local fishwives were invited to compete in an 18 hole tournament and to ensure a bumper entry from the hard-working women of the fishing community, a brand new creel was also donated as a prize.
Ladies have continued to play on the links over the years and our club will ensure that this tradition is carried on.